December 30, 2014 by Jen
One of the highlights of December 2014 was making the last of my student loan payments. I felt like the Genie at the end of Aladdin exclaiming, “I’m freeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Now, looking back at my years of student debt, I’ve been struck by the similarities between paying for a graduate degree and buying a car.
And no, I’m not talking about the monetary costs. Please. That Seattle Slew was slain a long time ago. No, the the five ways a graduate degree is like a new car are:
- No matter how much they try to regulate the system, exhaust happens.
- You will live and die by your brakes [sic].
- Your blind spots are always bigger than you think.
- Breakdowns are inevitable and often occur during the holidays.
- No first-time buyer really knows what’s under the hood.